Tuesday, January 28, 2020

B3: What are the possible future problems with Revit/BIM?


What problems could face us using Revit in the future? I didn't think of this question before because I thought that any problem or issue we have now is going to be solved with all the technologies we have. That's why there are updated versions approximately every year. The current problem that I can think about is that Revit and some other software are not available for everyone. People who are using mac can't download Revit because the company doesn't provide one for Mac users. It is only for Microsoft users, why? Would this issue going to stay till the next decade? Hopefully not! 
The other issue that may be considered is that there is only one version of Revit which is used worldwide. This is great, but every state or country has different building codes, restrictions, and limitations. Although I think engineers should be aware and review this part, but I would recommend that they add this to the program.     

BIM/Revit year over year is becoming more realistic that people can’t differ between both. There are more features that are added and developed. If you remember the Paint program that was on our old computers, do you think children still use it now as we did? Today Microsoft has developed that old tool to Paint 3D program, you can see the difference between these two programs. Paint is the only painting tool that I used when I was a kid, but know there are a bunch of them with high quality and resolution. What problems could BIM have in the future? If there weren't enough options in designing, the creativity of designing using these tools could decrease. This could happen when engineers rely on these programs and limit there designs on what these software provide.  BIM can do work faster than humans, but it is controlled by us. Therefore, we shouldn't rely on and fully trust the computer's work without reviewing it because it could have some errors.   



Michael,
I believe that in future more simulations will be updated and also more models that are close to reality. The idea you have might sound crazy at first, but nothing possible. There are programs where you can design and decorate your house without even paying a cent so you can see if it fits or not. Sometimes you imagine things that you think it is going to work but when you do it and pay for it, you realize that you wasted your time and money on something that didn’t fit the place, and you didn’t like it. Therefore, these programs can help in these cases. In addition to the VR and XR human-eye resolution products, this can also be used in the construction field in the future or something similar to your idea.


Walker,
I’m interested to know how BIM improved the communication between fields. I know that Revit can combine structural, mechanical, plumbing and architectural systems together, but this is all in the same field. Do you mean the environmental field, for example?
When you mentioned that there are benefits from using BIM and drawing plans by hand, I was wondering if there is a tool where we can draw plans and sketch by hand then these plans could be transferred to digital plans. If this tool doesn’t exist now, maybe it will in the future.


Reece,
In my experience, while my job interviews all of the companies and firms that I had applied for asked about my AutoCAD skills. In addition, the firm that I worked in used AutoCAD although they knew about Revit, but it seems that it is a new tool. Honestly, I don’t know how to work on something other than AutoCAD. However, I think this will change in the future corresponding to me or to the firms where Revit going to replace AutoCAD, but we need some time for this change.



No comments: