Thursday, January 9, 2020

About Me - Spencer Kociba

Experience

I am a junior BSAE student with a concentration in Digital Building and a minor in Construction Management. I have approximately 20 months of undergraduate research experience in BIM and sensor integration with structures. A portion of that time was with Dr. Aktan and Dr. Bartoli on non-destructive evaluation of highway structures for a STAR project. Most of my BIM experience comes from my research with Dr. Lo and the BIM class in the construction management department (I highly recommend CMGT 375 to anyone who has an interest in BIM in AEC). Much of my research with Dr. Lo included teaching myself Revit (with some Dynamo experience), integration of BIM, BEM and sensor data, as well as a literary review of current standards of BIM data.

I am a mostly self-taught Revit and Sketchup user (thank you, Youtube tutorials), but other relevant AEC technologies I have experience in includes Navisworks, BIM360, Procore, Bluebeam, Plangrid, eCMS, AutoCAD, Solidworks, and others.

I have some experience in database creation in management: part of my first co-op was assisting with data entry for a new relational database program for businesses currently under development by the company's CEO. 

Expectations

I expect a broad range of topics to be introduced to us in this course. When I find topics, technologies, or trends that are particularly interesting to me, I plan to explore these items more deeply independently of the class. The hope is that this class challenges me to absorb all I can so I can take it to my next co-op as a BIM Planner and Coordinator and continue to explore digital building in the construction industry. 

Evernote

I was most intrigued by the Evernote article, "A Smart Building Without BRAIN Won't Be Smart Enough" from October of 2018. The article is an op-ed about a technology developed by Arcadis that synthesizes BIM, BEM, and sensor data. These are all things that I have researched and I recognize how large of a challenge interoperability of systems can be.


Intelligent Building: a structure integrated with technological systems to serve a function or benefit to the building and its occupants (increase efficiency, monitor and maintain, live load adjustments, etc).


No comments: