Thursday, March 12, 2020

B6 Final Blog Post


When starting the course, I was intrigued about what would it entail to study Intelligent Building. Would the whole class be just building oriented? Are we going to learn about new technologies, new materials, new software, new approaches to building? Are we going to concentrate on only AI and robotics? It was a little bit of everything that helped to shape my understanding about the discipline.
It was interesting to experience engineering from a different prospective. As future electrical engineer I deal with a lot if circuits, power elements, computer programs etc., and honestly have no idea what a problem-solving process for architectural and structural engineers is. Just to learn a little bit more about building procedure, design process, and interaction between parties that are involved in the project made it a great learning experience. 

I was introduced to new programs, otherwise I wouldn’t get exposed to. Trying to figure out how to deal with Revit and even create a small model was very exciting. Creating data base had its ups and down, but I solely blame it on MS Access. My opinions about sensors changed. I used to think of them just as small gadgets, but they are a part of a bigger network and help not only to control temperature but maintain a whole system. 

The understanding of intelligent building changed for me. It went from being defined as smart building or green building to actually building intelligently, using the best technology and the best techniques. And also most expensive doesn’t mean the best, there are a lot of things to consider.  

Also I did not expect how much writing I would have to do in this class. I am so used to writing lab reports that use a very dry language, I am not used to writing about my own experiences.


Varsha,
I really enjoyed reading your reflection. It was interesting to read about somebody else's experience with the subject, especially somebody's with AE concentration.
I agree with you about bringing more courses that help to apply the knowledge we gained in theoretical classes and actually help us to look whats needed in the field.   

Douha,

Great use of an emoji. It caught my eye, that is why I am commenting on your post.

I agree with you that one of the advantages of the course was exposing us to new programs and new technologies. It is hard to think outside the box sometimes and this course helped to look at certain things from a different prospective.

Manon,

I enjoyed reading your post. I think we had similar experience with the course. I was also confused at the beginning to what to expect.
I wish you a good luck with your third co-op. Virtual Design Construction field sounds like a very exciting field to enter. Hopefully you will get a job in that field.

No comments: