Wednesday, March 4, 2020

B6 - Course Reflection

This course was nothing like I was expecting it to be, in a good way. I originally chose to take this course because I needed a professional elective and saw that Professor Mitchell was teaching it. What caught my attention while reading over the syllabus before the start of the term, was the fact that we would be learning new skills and getting more experience with Revit. It seemed like a ton of work at first, but the assignments were very straightforward and worthwhile. What made the class even more interesting was the diversity in the class. There were people of so many other majors besides architectural engineering, and they were able to provide different insight to the topics we were learning. Initially, I was unsure of how all the different topics related to buildings, but I thought Professor Mitchell did a great job at relating things like databases and robots to buildings. I did my final project on robotics in the construction industry, and it was really intriguing to research how companies are trying to integrate robots on construction sites. This project particularly encouraged me to stay up to date on new technologies that are being used in the building design and construction industries, and I now have a better understanding of how technology can be used to improve the efficiency and sustainability of buildings. I also believe that the knowledge I gained from this course will benefit me in my future career. We learned a lot of new programs, such as Dynamo and Microsoft Access, throughout the course and it would be really impressive if I could use those programs at my future workplace. If I did not take this course, I definitely would not have known about these different programs and learned how to use them during my time here at Drexel. I wish there were more courses that we could take to learn and advance in our skills in these programs, especially Revit. I am grateful that I will be entering my last co-op with a new set of skills that I can hopefully implement in my work.

Comments:
(Link)
Abdul, I agree that this class was simple yet challenging. It forced us to step out of our comfort zones and learn completely new software. I also had some difficulty with MS Access, but I now have more respect for databases and people who manage databases for living. I am glad you learned something meaningful from this course and I wish you the best of luck in your final term!

(Link)
Izzy, It's been a pleasure to work with you throughout the term! You provided a different perspective on the topics we were learning and it made our conversations more interesting. I, too, was excited to get more experience with Revit during this course, and I wish we were able to do more assignments using it. I commend you for taking an AE course as an MEM student, and I am glad this course was as meaningful to you as it was for me.

(Link)
Mika,


I also learned a lot from reading about interoperability. I was aware of the issues that come with sharing information between different programs, but I did not know there was a term for it. I also agree that Professor Mitchell does a great job at teaching us a substantial amount of information in a simple and interactive way, and this is one of the reasons I decided to take this course. I wish you the best of luck in your career!

4 comments:

Abdul said...

Ina, I agree with you, following the instructions of the assignments was really straight forward for me as well. Professor Mitchell did an amazing job teaching this class. Also, good luck with your last coop.

Mika Awai said...

Ina,

I am also glad that we were able to gain experience with programs like Dynamo and Microsoft Access. We have all recently learned that we are expected to know programs like these without having a formal introduction to them, which proves to be extra difficult and most of the time incorrect when we have to teach ourselves.

Amanda Kolar said...

Ina,
I completely agree with your post, especially in regards to how AE 410 allows us to stay up to date on the technology used in our field. I particularly enjoyed learning about the use of robots and drones throughout the construction process, and it’s definitely something we should become familiar with given that they’ll become more prevalent as the industry continues to advance.

Manon Flamini said...

Ina,

I agree with your point that one of the most enjoyable things of the class was its diversity. I really enjoyed having people from different experiences and concentrations in the class as it proved to create more interesting discussions in class. I tis always interesting to see the different perspectives shared in class.