Thursday, March 12, 2020

B6 - Course Reflection

As someone who is not an architectural engineer or interested in using my civil engineering degree for buildings, I took this Intelligent Buildings course for my own personal growth. “Sustainable” and “Green” and “Smart” systems, buildings, structures, etc. are really big in our industry at the moment, so I figured it would be useful to see what is going on in the architecture world in relation to these things. Also, it is super important for us to keep up with new technologies since there are advancements every single day. I actually had considered pursuing architectural engineering in college before settling on civil engineering, so that was another reason why I wanted to check out a class in the AE department. This is why I decided to add this class to my schedule for this term.

I don’t think I knew exactly what I was in for when I came into class. I never realized how much coding and computer-based programs were ingrained into building modeling, but now it all makes sense. There would be  no other way for a vast network of sensors to be able to work together and learn from each other than with proper programming. The unit on sensors was completely new to me, and I learned a lot about the various ways that we can take information in from the outside/inside environment, from the user(s), and from the building itself to manipulate things like humidity, temperature, power, mechanical systems, and much more.

I also learned a lot about the value of databases, and how I had pretty much already been using them for most of my life! A database in its simplest form is just a network of organized information, such as a file tree or folders of past plans. The construction industry relies heavily on databases, both internally--for employee information, company information, procedures, etc.--and externally--project information, bidding information, contractor and subcontractor information.

By far the most valuable thing I learned in this class was BIM. I had honestly never heard of BIM before and I am so glad I have finally gotten the opportunity to become more familiar with it. BIM is a program that can be utilized in almost every step of the design and build process of construction. It allows for everyone involved in the construction process to participate in planning, designing, and modifying at the same time, rather than needing to wait for one process to be completed to start on the next, or combining all systems together only to realize that clashes exist. This program seems like it will revolutionize the construction industry and I am glad that I had the opportunity to learn about it while at school. Not necessarily relevant to the class itself, but I had heard such great things about Professor Mitchell, and I am very happy that I got to experience him as a professor before he retired!


Hi Varsha,
You bring up a really good point, that it is really important to be prepared for change. I completely agree. Technology is advancing at a faster rate than ever, and if we do not make all of our classes geared similarly to this one, in that we are learning the current and future programs and systems used within the industry, we will get left behind. I think as a college we need to find the balance between being an R1 research institution and relying on theoretical science and being more adaptable for emerging technologies.
https://ae-410-510-ay19-20.blogspot.com/2020/03/b6-reflection.html

Hi Spencer,
I share your sentiments about the guest lecturers that we had the opportunity to hear from and interact with during class. They provided a unique perspective as those currently using these programs and systems and have been for years. They often talked about the future and how they plan to adapt to the use of one thing or another. Each one had a different take on the industry, and that was very valuable to hear about.
https://ae-410-510-ay19-20.blogspot.com/2020/03/b6-final-reflections.html

Michael,
I completely agree that the class structure of Intelligent Buildings provided a lot of freedom. Though I did not think the course would apply to my field of interest, Professor Mitchell did a great job of making the class relevant to many majors and topics and allowed students to explore best practices in the industry or interest of their choosing. Many of my blog posts that involved research ended up relating to the impact of ____ on sociology or people or jobs, because those things interest me the most. I wish more professors took the time to get real-time feedback from their students like Professor Mitchell has.
https://ae-410-510-ay19-20.blogspot.com/2020/03/course-reflection.html

No comments: